Thursday, March 31, 2011

Crossbar = LAME! ..... By Hailey :)

So we had to write movie reviews for my journalism class. I thought I'd share it with you :)




Crossbar = LAME!
By Hailey

How would I describe the made-for-Canadian-TV movie “Crossbar” in one word? Olympic? Inspiring? Touching? Not so much.
Who was Kim Cattrall before she was sex crazed Samantha Jones of “Sex and the City”? She was just Katie, the bipolar Canadian, starring in “Crossbar.” As the “Olympic love interest,” Kim Catrrall did not win the gold medal of my opinion.
But she wasn’t the only one on the “Crossbar team” to not win that gold medal.
Who was Brent Carver before he was Gandolf in “The Lord of the Rings” musical? (The musical not the movie.) He was the “corny afro-tastic Aaron”.  With a role as prestigious as Gandolf, you know he had to be amazing in his early work-right? More or less.
In this movie Aaron, a young Olympic high jumper struggles to deal with the loss of his leg and with his own personal problems as well as trying to convince his skeptical father that he is not a freak but the same guy with a dream he has always been.
What stuck out most to me about the character of Aaron, was his mega perm. Really I didn’t see anything too special or interesting about this character. Though being good with one leg, Brent Carver did not impress me at all in this roll. As far as his acting style goes, I think someone should have stopped him and made him aware of the fact that yelling doesn’t make a moment more dramatic, only loud.
Where the character of Katie could have been very good as a sweet, helpful type of girl, Cattrall portrayed her as bipolar and completely off her rocker, between pushing a guy with one leg into a river and then later telling him she loves him but she doesn’t want to be with him and that she’s leaving for France, but not really, she’s just going to stay with him instead. In the end I was more scared of Katie than touched by her help to her co-star Aaron.
Although the acting wasn’t the only thing to stand out in this movie. There were other components to this film and all its “glory.”
As for the music, that is one soundtrack I will not be buying. The music was too over dramatic and reminded me only of the music people hear going up in an elevator.
I know this movie was based on a farm in the ‘70s but come on people! When the movie first started, I thought I was watching “Attack of the Flannel Shirts” not “Crossbar.”
But if you are a fan of slow-motion close-ups of people in deep thought, this is a movie for you. 
It would be very hard to describe this movie in one word; I can’t choose between the words Lame and Bland. 

1 comment:

  1. I with these blogs had LIKE buttons. cause I would click it and LIKE this review :)

    ReplyDelete